FREE LADIES ONLY ZUMBA
I am a mother of three children and worked full-time in the past. Not having a job I was stressed, quickly becoming out of shape and desperately needing something just for myself. I saw a sign posted outside a local Leytonstone shop advertising Zumba classes. I thought “why not” and showed up the following week.
I had no idea what to expect when I showed up there by myself, with no dance background whatsoever and with no exercise since before I was pregnant with my then 9-month-old daughter. I was nervous and unsure, to say the least, and had to take some deep breathes before heading inside. What if I looked ridiculous? Would I be able to make it through a whole class? Would I know anyone? What if I was a distraction
When I got inside I was greeted warmly by the instructor Amira. I took a spot in the back and class began. I got winded quickly, had a hard time doing both the arm movement and the leg. But everyone seemed to be in the same boat but undoubtedly enjoying it and having fun. The instructor Amira kept right on cueing and I was able to get a good workout and feel like I had success with the movements. The music felt good and was empowering and uplifting
I completely forgot that I was working out, that I had so many problems and issues , that I had laundry at home, stress at work and every other stressor in my life. For that glorious hour it was the instructor, me and the music-that’s it. After just one class, I was hooked. My life has changed for the better since then!
Zumba has given me so much over the past few months. I’m more coordinated these days, thankfully! It’s made me more confident, it’s reshaped me physically, it’s reshaped me mentally, it’s my joy, it’s my therapy and it’s my passion. The network of people that I have met through Zumba still blows my mind!
Women of all ages, fitness levels, gender, race, religion, creed and color all come to the Zumba class. Zumba brings people together in joy and fitness in a way that I have never seen before. My classmates have become part of my family. I now join them in celebrating, going-away, discovering new things graduations-you name it. We have laughed, cried, supported and cheered on together. (A Zumba class student)
As well as the fantastic benefits of bringing people together Zumba is a great alternative to traditional fitness programs:
- It’s fun. The more you enjoy your exercise routine, the more likely you are to stick with it. Many people say they have so much fun dancingthat they forget they are actually exercising.
- Great for weight loss. Zumba is a powerful exercise with a 600 to 1,000-calorie burn in just an hour.
- Tones your entire body. You may feel sore in places you never knew existed, but it gets results. Zumba targets lots of different muscle groups at once for total body toning.
- Boosts your heart health. You not only get aerobic benefits(it really gets your heart rate up), you also get anaerobic benefits– the kind that help you maintain a good cardiovascular respiratory system.
- Helps you de-stress. Turning your attention to dance, and away from the daily grind, is a great way to relieve stress. Studies show that exercise is very effective at reducing fatigue, improving alertness and concentration, and enhancing overall cognitive function.
- Improves coordination. In Zumba, your arms and legs are generally moving in different directions so it requires a good deal of coordination. Repeated practice improves coordination and helps you feel more comfortable moving your body.
- Makes you happy.Every time you exercise, you release endorphins, which trigger positive feelings throughout the body.
To join the Zumba class please contact the Meeting Place or just turn up at 1.45pm each Thursday at the Pastures Youth Centre 15 Davies Lane Leytonstone London E11 3DR .
It’s completely free !